When trying to increase awareness about your personal brand, it is advisable to look towards using the same types of tactics and marketing techniques that companies use to increase awareness for their corporate brand.
Today, we are going to discuss the idea of using promotional products to increase your personal brand awareness the same way that companies use promotional merchandise to get the word out about their brand. Promotional merchandise (products with your name and logo on them) not only increase brand awareness, but help get the word out about your personal brand and what you do and help your target audience remember you since promotional products are kept for a long period of time.
Why Use Promotional Products for Personal Branding?
Everyone carries business cards that help others remember you and contact you again, so using promotional products takes that one step further and not only gives people something to remember you by, but is a unique gesture that helps you stand out even more. Here are some of the benefits of using promotional products as a marketing tool:
- Branded Merchandise can be obtained with very little investment. This way, you can test out if promotional products work for your purposes, or you can even try out different types of promotional products to see which give you the best result.
Branded Merchandise can be obtained with very little investment
- A research study showed conclusive evidence that recipients of promotional products have better recognition of a brand and are more likely to do business with the company that gave away the promotional gift.
- The same study also showed that recipients of promotional products keep promotional gifts for a year or longer, which means that they have continued exposure to your name and are constantly and consistently reminded about your name.
- Everyone loves to receive a gift, so giving out promotional products improves the recipient’s sentiment about you or your brand.
What Types of Promotional Products are best for Personal Branding?
When you first hear about promotional products as part of a marketing campaign, you might think that it is a pen with the company’s name on it. However, promotional products have come a long way and there is a huge variety of promotional products are available to be branded with your name, logo, phone number, website, etc. It is important when choosing a promotional product campaign that you choose a type of product that can easily be identified with you or what it is that you do. Secondly, it is important that the product is something that is useful to the recipient. Remember, you can always have your name, your logo, contact information, and even a motto, creed, or saying added to your promotional products.
Here are ten categories of promotional products that can not only help people remember your personal brand, but also help get the message across about what you do, what you stand for, or a cause you would like to be associated with.
Piggy banks is a good idea if your brand is about money
- If you want your personal brand to be associated with saving people money, you can give out branded piggy banks, calculators, or financial planner booklets.
- If you want to give the impression that you protect or heal people, giving out promotional umbrellas, first aid kits, or sunblock. (Perfect for insurance agents, life insurance sales, etc.)
- If you are in the food, beverage, cooking, or restaurant businesses, your promotional giveaway could be a branded apron, cups, mugs, coasters, or cooking utensil packages.
- Real estate agents can give out magnets, mugs, clocks, or other promotional gifts that can double as house warming gifts.
- If your personal brand is all about saving the environment and reducing the carbon footprint on the Earth, recycled promotional products would be your best bet. Reusable bags, recycled paper products, seeds and planters are all excellent choices for environmentally friendly brands.
- Are you a travel agent or tour guide and want your personal brand to be associated with travel, your promotional product to giveaway could be beach towels, beach bags, travel cases, or trip planners.
- Writers can promote their work by giving out promotional pens, note pads, diaries, or journals.
- If you work with children, why not give away something that the kids will remember? The best way to get hired by parents is to win the children over first. Help them remember you with promotional toys, puzzles, teddy bears, or even hats.
- If you are in the tech world, perhaps you fix computers or teach users about new software, there are a large number of tech gadgets that you can use to promote your work and be associated with the technology too. Tablet cases, USB memory sticks, stylus pens are just a few ideas for technology related promotional products.
- If your personal brand wants to promote a specific charity, there are a number of promotional merchandise ideas that can help let others know that your personal brand supports a specific charity or cause. Some ideas are rubber band bracelets or clothing with your contact information and the charity’s logo on them.
Author: Richard Larson is author and Brand Manager for GoPromotional. He enjoys writing about business and marketing topics.